Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam Preparation Course
If you have a 4-year engineering degree or 4 years of documented work experience in the engineering field, passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is the first step towards becoming a Licensed Professional Engineer (PE).
Get Ready for the FE Exam
The online FE Exam Prep course is designed to maximize your chance at passing the FE exam the first time. It includes:
- Coverage of every topic on the FE Civil Engineering and Other Disciplines exams: math, probability and statistics, chemistry, ethics and safety, engineering economics, instrumentation, statics, dynamics, material science, fluid mechanics, electrical power and more.
- Video lectures, homework activities, and quizzes/exams to reinforce your learning and help you gauge your progress on each topic.
- Practical problem-solving and test-taking strategies to help you get ready for the type of questions you will see on the FE exam.
- A convenient online format, so you can get ready for the FE exam from any location. All course activities can be completed online, on your own schedule, each week.
- Personalized help and support to set you up for FE exam success. You can ask questions and get help from the instructors, as well as attending optional weekly instructor-led live study sessions (in-person in Tucson or online via Zoom).
Everyone is welcome. Refugees, immigrants and others with documented engineering experience in their home countries are welcome. Current and former engineering students from the University of Arizona and other universities are also encouraged to participate.
Schedule and Price
Schedule: August 24-December 7, 2022
Participation in weekly study sessions is optional but encouraged. Study sessions will be offered every Wednesday 5:30-7 p.m., excluding holidays. You can attend the study sessions in person (in Tucson) or online (via Zoom from any location).
Price: $646 (does not include cost of taking the FE exam)
Discounted rates are available for University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and Northern Arizona University students and alumni and for participants referred by refugee-serving community organizations. Members of specific professional organizations may also be eligible for a discount.
The course was developed by NextGen Engineering, and it is taught by a Licensed Professional Engineer and a teaching assistant (TA).
Bill O'Brien is the Principal Engineer at NextGen Engineering. Founded in 2012, NextGen specializes in water resource engineering and participates in local and international trainings, including the Fundamentals of Engineering exam preparation course.
Bill has over 25 years of professional experience in engineering, planning, and design for water resources and land use. Specific experience includes: Hydrology, river and pipeline hydraulics, technical writing, plan reviews, drainage; FEMA floodplain management, insurance, and map changes; SWPPP’s and BMP design, watershed planning with water quality program analysis, wastewater management and bio-digester planning, water recycling, and conjunctive use planning.
Bill and his family lived and worked in the Middle East for over a decade. He also participated in Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) training in Ethiopia and Central Asia. Bill is an active volunteer in the Tucson refugee-serving community.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about the exam, the application process, and the FE Exam Prep course.
Student and Alumni Discounts
Discounts are available for University of Arizona, ASU and NAU students and alumni.