Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam Preparation
Passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is the first step towards becoming a Licensed Professional Engineer (PE).
About the FE Exam Prep Class
The FE Exam Prep class is designed to maximize your chance at passing the FE exam the first time.
It includes coverage of every topic on the FE Civil Engineering and Other Disciplines exams: math, probability and statistics, chemistry, ethics and safety, engineering economics, instrumentation, statics, dynamics, material science, fluid mechanics, electrical power and more.
You will also learn practical problem-solving and test-taking strategies to help you get ready for the type of questions you will see on the FE exam.
In addition to learning online, you can get personalized help from an instructor and a TA to set you up for FE exam success:
- Ask questions and get help online via discussion boards and email.
- Attend optional weekly live instructor-led study sessions on Wednesdays, 5:30-7:00 p.m. You can attend these sessions in-person in Tucson, or remotely (via Zoom) from any location.
Instructor: The class was developed by Bill O'Brien, the owner and principal engineer of NextGen Engineering. NextGen Engineering's mission is two-fold: planning and implementing sustainable engineering projects and training the next generation of water resource professionals. Meet the instructor.
Who Should Take FE Exam Prep?
Everyone is welcome. Those who have a 4-year engineering degree (or will graduate soon), as well as those with documented work experience in the engineering field are encouraged to participate.
Refugees, immigrants and others with international engineering experience are also welcome.
You can take the FE exam if you have:
- An engineering degree or training from outside the U.S. OR
- 4 years of documented work experience in engineering or a related field OR
- A 4-year engineering degree
Class Schedule and Format
FE Exam Prep is offered twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.
Spring Class Dates: January 11-May 3, 2023 (registration for this class is now closed)
Fall class Dates: August 23-February 6, 2023
Format: The convenient online format allows you to prepare for the FE exam from any location.
The class includes weekly video lectures, homework activities, and quizzes/exams to reinforce your learning and help you gauge your progress on each topic. All activities can be completed online, on your own schedule, each week.
Live instructor-led study sessions will be offered every Wednesday 5:30-7 p.m., excluding holidays. You can attend study sessions in person (in Tucson) or remotely (via Zoom).
In-person study session location:
1600 East Idea Lane
The Bridges - Refinery Building
Tucson, Arizona 85713
You will also receive a Zoom link for the study sessions, so you can participate online from any location.
Paying For Your Class
Price: The regular price for the class is $646. The cost of taking the FE exam is not included in the class price.
Discounted rates are available for:
- University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and Northern Arizona University undergraduate and graduate alumni
- Current University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and Northern Arizona University students
- Military-connected learners
- FE Exam Prep students referred by refugee community organizations
- Members of select professional organizations