Frequently Asked Questions

Funding and Tuition Assistance for CaPE Programs

No, QTR does not apply to CaPE noncredit courses. University of Arizona faculty and staff receive a 10% discount on many courses; however, this discount does not apply to family members.

Participants in University of Arizona Continuing & Professional Education programs may be eligible for discounts and financial assistance.


Participants may be eligible for discounts, including:

  • University of Arizona faculty, staff and students receive a discount on many courses (Qualified Tuition Reduction does not apply to CaPE noncredit courses). University of Arizona-affiliated participants should register using a University of Arizona email address so CaPE can verify their eligibility to receive a discount.
  • Active military and veterans
  • Group registration of three or more individuals from a single organization
  • Members of specific businesses or organizations

Only one discount can apply per registration.

Scholarships, Grants, and Other Options
  • Arizona @ Work One-Stop Service Centers. Funding through the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) for CaPE programs may be available for unemployed or dislocated workers and other eligible applicants. Learn more by contacting your local One-Stop Service Center.
  • Military spouses participating in the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA) program
  • Veterans’ benefits. Specific CaPE programs may be approved for funding. Email or call 520-626-5091 to determine individual benefit eligibility.
  • Private educational loans. Examples include obtaining a loan from your bank or credit union.

If you are seeking funding from a workforce development agency or veterans' program, we have a handy overview of the process here.

Payment Plans

Payment plans are available for select CaPE classes. Rather than paying the full registration fee, students will have the option to pay a deposit (usually $100) during the registration process. Students may pay the remaining balance at their convenience up until ten (10) business days before class start date. When choosing this option, students will agree to the following

  • The deposit amount is non-refundable.
  • Student is responsible for paying any remaining balance due prior to ten (10) business days of class start date. If balance is not paid in full prior to that date, the student's registration will be canceled and payments (less the deposit amount) will be refunded

If a payment plan option is available, that information will be noted in the class description.

Students who began a payment plan prior to March 4, 2020 will have until the class start date to pay their balance in full.

Requirements and Eligibility for CaPE Programs

CaPE courses are open to everyone 18 years of age or older. You do not need to be an admitted and enrolled University of Arizona student.

If a specific course has prerequisites, that information will be included in the course description.

Our classes are designed to help adult workers gain the knowledge and skills they need to achieve career success. Our students include:

  • Working professionals who want to learn new skills, so they can advance in their current careers
  • People who want to launch a new career
  • Un(der)employed workers looking to acquire the skills they need to find a new job
  • Workers who want to keep current in a rapidly-changing profession

What most of our students have in common is that they are busy, and they need flexible learning options. That’s why we offer a wide variety of online classes that allow busy adults to learn at their own pace and at their convenience. Most online courses provide 12 months of access to course material. Many of our in-person classes meet during the evening or on weekends to accommodate the needs of working professionals.

No, participants in our noncredit programs are not admitted to or enrolled in a University of Arizona for-credit program. CaPE program participants will not be issued a student ID card (CatCard), and they will not have access to on-campus recreational facilities, computer labs, discounts or other admitted-student benefits. You can learn more about University of Arizona admissions requirements here.

Credit courses are for students who are interested in earning an associate, bachelor or graduate degree. All CaPE classes are non-credit and are intended for working adults who want to learn new skills or earn professional credentials. CaPE programs cannot be applied towards any for-credit degree program.

A license is a credential that permits the holder to practice in a specified field. A license is awarded by a government licensing agency based on pre-determined criteria. The criteria may include some combination of degree attainment, certifications, certificates, assessment, apprenticeship programs, or work experience. Licenses are time-limited and must be renewed periodically. A nursing license is a common example of this type of credential.

Industry certifications are credentials awarded by a certification body (not a school or government agency) based on an individual demonstrating, through an examination process, that he or she has acquired the designated knowledge, skills and abilities to perform a specific occupation or skill. Certifications are usually time-limited and may be renewed through a re-certification process.

Industry certification courses prepare you to take one of these nationally-recognized certification exams, such as Cisco, CompTIA, Microsoft, Project Management Professional (PMP) or SHRM-CP exams. These certifications can help experienced professionals move up in their current careers or open the door to starting a new career in certain industries.

A non-credit certificate is awarded by an educational institution (such as University of Arizona Continuing & Professional Education) after satisfactory completion of a program. Certificate programs typically involve successfully completing more than one course. Non-credit certificates are useful for demonstrating that you have learned new skills that can help you advance in your current career or launch a new one. Certificates are not time-limited and do not need to be renewed.

Taking Online Courses

For most online courses, all you need is a computer with a high-speed internet connection (cable or DSL).

Individual courses may have specific requirements, but we recommend that your equipment meet the following minimum system requirements:

  • Processor: i5 or i7 Intel processor or equivalent
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM or greater
  • A high-speed internet connection
  • Current web browser
  • Operating system: Windows 7 or higher, Apple OS X 10 or higher

Speakers/headphones, a webcam and a microphone may be required, depending on the course format. You may also need to download and install Zoom, WebEx or other conferencing software.

Courses may also require the use of specific software. Please be sure to check that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to use that software.

Once you have enrolled, you will be given instructions for accessing your online course.

Online courses may be self-paced, instructor-led, or mentor-supported.

In a self-paced course, you are given access to the course materials, but there is not a person leading you through the material. A mentor-supported class is like a self-paced class, but there is an expert available to answer questions and help you better understand the material. In an instructor-led class, you usually interact with an instructor at various points through the class, and the instructor will be available to answer questions.

Most of our online courses include periodic assessment tests to help you measure whether you are understanding the material or could benefit from more study.